Munson Health
 
History

Kalkaska Memorial Health Center

 
Interior photo of Kalkaska Memorial Health Center
Kalkaska Memorial Health Center
opened in 1953.


On Oct. 1, 1953 Kalkaska Memorial Health Center opened as a "District Hospital Authority" with governing representatives from 12 townships in Kalkaska County. Munson Medical Center was asked to assist with clinical oversight of the start-up of Kalkaska Memorial.

Oct. 18, 1953 — Open house for Kalkaska Memorial Health Center. Admitted first patient and delivered a baby at 8:15 pm on the day of the dedication.

1970 — A new physician's office building attached to the hospital  opens - a 3,400-square-foot addition.

1976 — KMHC affiliated with Munson Medical Center by way of a management agreement.

1979 — Eight beds converted to Long-term Care. 13 beds remained available for Acute Care.

1983 — The new Jabara Health Center opens in Mancelona.

1989 — A 60-bed Long-term Care Unit opens, after starting the year with 85 employees.

1991 — KMHC certified as state's first Provider Based Rural Health Clinic, in addition to being licensed as a hospital and long-term care program. The clinic allowed for the expansion of outpatient programs, especially the Specialty Clinics.

1999 — "The Modernization Project," a $7 million addition, is opened with new facilities for ER, Acute Care, Cardiac Rehab, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Radiology, a Medical Procedure Room, Respiratory Therapy, Specialty Clinics, and the new Dementia wing for Long-term Care residents.

 2002 — The Stone House is renovated for educational purposes and dedicated as William W. Kitti Education Building. KMHC becomes the largest employer in Kalkaska County. 

2004 — Built permanent space for CT scanner and added Swimmex rehab program. Received the Michigan Navigator Quality Award.
 
2006 — Began Teen Health Clinic coordinating services with Forest Area and Kalkaska high schools.
 
2007 — Completion of new Dialysis Center and began services to area residents and visitors.
 
2008 — $14 million building project including new specialty clinics, with renovations to outpatient diagnostic services. Added space to cardiac rehab program. Began mobile MRI services with new docking station.
 
2009 — Opened new Assisted Living complex.
 
2011 — KMHC continues to grow with 325 employees providing services to our community.