|Serving Size||½ of recipe|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||71 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Hazelnuts, roughly chopped||2 tablespoons|
|Penne||6 ounces (slightly less than ½ of a 1-pound box of pasta)|
|Olive oil||½ tablespoon|
|Garlic cloves, thinly sliced||2|
|Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped (works with spinach too)||1 bunch|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
|Grated Parmesan||2 tablespoons|
- Toast hazelnuts in a small skillet over low heat. Stir and toss for a few minutes, until fragrant.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. When pasta is done, reserve ½ cup of water before draining.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or deep skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add chard and sprinkle with salt. Increase heat to medium-high and stir until chard begins to wilt. Cover the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the reserved pasta water and butter to the chard, and cook until the butter is melted. Then add the drained pasta, mix well, and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Season with pepper to taste. Portion onto two plates, and top with parmesan and hazelnuts.
4 starches; 2 vegetables; 2 fats; ½ high-fat meat substitute
Side Suggestions: Bruschetta
Thinly slice a wheat baguette. Rub slices with a peeled garlic clove and place onto a baking sheet. Toast in an oven preheated to 475˚ F for about 5 minutes, or until golden. Chop and combine 6 deseeded tomatoes, 2 small yellow onions, and 2 garlic cloves. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tomato mixture and sauté for a few minutes (the onions and tomatoes should not start to brown). Mix in 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil (or 2 teaspoons dry); spoon onto baguette slices and serve.