This recipe is very versatile—you can leave out the meat, substitute veggies for the meat, or use a different type of cheese if desired.
|Serving Size||1/6 of recipe|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0.5 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Low-fat milk||1¼ cups|
|Dash of pepper|
|Canadian bacon (or substitute smoked ham), sliced into thin strips||5 ounces|
|Leek, thinly sliced and rinsed in a bowl of cold water (leeks will float to the top and any sand will sink to the bottom)||1|
|Swiss cheese, shredded||1½ cups|
|9-inch unbaked pie crust|
|Parsley, chopped||2 tablespoons|
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Cook the sliced leek in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Mix together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the Canadian bacon, leek, and cheese out evenly over the pastry shell. Pour egg mixture into the pie shell and then sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake on one of the bottom shelves in the oven for about 40-45 minutes, until the egg mixture is set and golden brown on top. (Note: To test a quiche for doneness, first jiggle it a bit on the oven shelf to see if it’s “set.” If the center appears to be set, take the quiche out and stick a knife in the middle. The quiche is done when the knife comes out clean.)
- Let pie cool for 5-15 minutes before serving.
1 starch; 1.5 lean meats; 1 high-fat meat substitute; ¼ milk; 1 fat
Side Suggestions: Mixed Green Salad
Toss mixed greens with ½ to 1 chopped tomato, ¼ cup sliced red onion, ½ cup sliced cucumber, and a vinaigrette dressing.
Side Suggestions: French Bread