Warning! Don’t eat the chilies unless you love very spicy foods; they’re added for flavor.
|Serving Size||½ of recipe|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||6.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2.5 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Reduced-sodium chicken broth||½ cup|
|Low-sodium soy sauce||1 tablespoon|
|Zest of ½ orange (finely grate the orange part of the peel; yields about ½ teaspoon zest)|
|Canola oil||2 teaspoons|
|Sirloin steak, cut into 2-inch by ½-inch strips||½ pound|
|Clove garlic, minced||1|
|Small carrot, peeled and sliced diagonally||1|
|Small red bell pepper, chopped||1|
|Small dried red chilis (optional)||2|
|Scallions, thinly sliced||2|
- In a small bowl, combine broth, soy sauce, orange zest, and cornstarch until cornstarch dissolves. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and stir-fry for about 3 minutes, until browned. Stir in garlic, carrot, and bell pepper, and stir-fry another 3 minutes, or until carrot is slightly tender.
- Add chilis and cook entire mixture 2-3 more minutes, or until meat reaches desired degree of doneness.
- Pour cornstarch mixture into pan and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, until sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat, stir in scallions, and serve.
3 lean meats; 1.5 vegetables; 1 fat
Side Suggestions: Jasmine Rice