Bananas and low-fat buttermilk give this old favorite its moistness and help lower the fat.
|Serving Size||½ in slice|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Mashed ripe bananas||1 cup |
|Low-fat buttermilk||1/3 cup |
|Packed brown sugar||½ cup |
|Margarine||1/4 cup |
|All-purpose flour, sifted||2 cups |
|Baking powder||1 teaspoon |
|Baking soda||½ teaspoon |
|Chopped pecans||½ cup |
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
- Stir together mashed bananas and buttermilk; set aside.
- Cream brown sugar and margarine together until light. Beat in egg. Add banana mixture; beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add all at once to liquid ingredients. Stir until well blended.
- Stir in nuts and turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and complete cooling on a wire rack before slicing.