This is a good way to get vegetables into the meal plan. Serve with a mixed green salad and some whole wheat bread.
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||24 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Medium onions, chopped||2|
|Garlic cloves, minced||4|
|Celery stalks, diced||2|
|Medium red or green peppers, cut into strips||2|
|Chopped mushrooms||1 cup|
|Uncooked rice||2 cups|
|Chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed||3 pounds|
|Salt (optional)||1 teaspoon|
|Chicken broth, fat removed||3½ cups|
|Water with saffron (Sazón) for color||4 cups|
|Medium tomatoes, chopped||3|
|Frozen peas||1 cup|
|Frozen corn||1 cup|
|Frozen green beans||1 cup|
|Olives or capers for garnish, if desired|
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a nonstick pot. Add the onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to brown.
- Add the chicken, salt, chicken broth, water, saffron (Sazón), and tomatoes. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer.
- Cover the pot and let the casserole simmer until the water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, corn, and beans, and cook for 8-10 minutes. When everything is hot the casserole is ready to serve. Garnish with olives or capers, if desired.
Side Suggestions: Mixed Green Salad, Whole Wheat Bread