Healthy North System-Wide Initiatives
- Regional effort aimed at strengthening and coordinating cancer care between Munson Healthcare-affiliated hospitals, with the goal of making cancer care more seamless and convenient for patients. This includes standardizing patient information to make navigating our system easier.
- Now in the fundraising and planning stages, the new $45 million Cowell Family Cancer Center will unite comprehensive, state-of-the-art treatment opportunities with the convenience of one location that is close to home. Construction is expected to begin in 2014.
- The benefits offered by the Cowell Family Cancer Center will create a new, patient-centered model of care and will help attract new physicians who have trained in and expect to work with the latest technologies and care models.
- System wide, Munson Healthcare hospitals are working more closely with physicians to improve coordination and quality of care.
- Our participation in Michigan Health Connect enables sharing of medical records with providers throughout the region and the state, making it easier for physicians to access real-time information.
- Munson Healthcare is already a high quality, low-cost provider but we are working to further increase efficiencies to meet the financial challenges brought on by health care reform.
- Deploying new hospital-wide strategies for timely testing, treatment, and care reduces waste in the inpatient care delivery system.
- Improving the discharge process and post-acute care planning reduces readmissions and length of stay, allowing people to spend less time in the hospital, which is better for them and improves our financial performance.
Ease of Use/IT
- As the preferred provider in northern Michigan, we are working to make the Munson Healthcare system easy to use for patients – finding a physician, scheduling appointments, accessing convenient services, processing payments, and accessing medical records.
- Information technology is taking greater importance as work to expand the use of electronic health records (EHR) to improve access for physicians and other providers, and make the health system easier to use for patients. This technology alerts physicians to critical patient test results and provides instant electronic access to the results.
- We are stepping up efforts to stay at the forefront of rapidly changing technology and best practices in health care.
- More use of telemedicine is providing greater access to partner specialty services such as infectious disease (Mercy Cadillac) and bleeding disorders (Detroit Medical Center).