weight loss surgery, am i a candidate?
Bariatric Procedures are not for everyone.
Patients must commit to a lifetime of follow-up care, including following guidelines
on diet, exercise and vitamin supplements.
Patient motivation is a key factor.
Bariatric surgery is a tool - it is not a quick fix or the easy way out. Successful, sustained weight loss requires a commitment to lifelong change.
To qualify for Bariatric surgery, patients should:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 65.
- Be at lease 100 pounds over ideal body weight, or have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more, or greater than 35 with multiple health complications.
- Have a medical record that documents unsuccessful attempts to treat obesity.
- Have a recommendation from a primary care provider along with family support.
- Commit to long-term follow-up care and comply with nutrition recommendations.