it’s Time to Get Vaccinated for Flu Season
Influenza annually, on average, causes 150,000 hospitalizations and claims the lives of 24,000 people in the United States. You can prepare yourself and your family for flu season by getting a flu vaccination at a local physician’s office, at urgent care, or a participating pharmacy.
The 2013-14 flu vaccine will provide protection against three types of influenza: a H1N1 type A virus that was prominent in 2009, a H3N2 Type A virus from 2011, and a Massachusetts 2012 influenza type B virus. Some vaccines also offer protection again four types of influenza, two type A viruses and two type B viruses.
Where is the flu vaccine available?
- Area residents are encouraged to check with their physician’s office for availability of the flu vaccine.
- Some area retailers offer the vaccinations.
- Flu vaccine is available at the Grand Traverse Health Department, for more information call (231) 995-6111.
- Munson Urgent Care will offer the flu shot for adults and children 5 years of age and older on a walk-in basis seven days per week from 10 am - 10 pm while supplies last. Munson Urgent Care will bill insurance if the shot is a covered benefit. Limited pediatric vaccine is available. Munson Urgent Care is located at Munson Community Health Center, 550 Munson Ave. in Traverse City. For more information or for vaccine availability, call (231) 935-8686 and press 8.
- Bay Shore Pharmacy in Suttons Bay offers the flu shot Tues. - Fri., 1 - 4 pm, and other times by appointment. Bay Shore Pharmacy will bill insurance if the shot is a covered benefit. Bay Shore Pharmacy is located at 93 W. Fourth St., Ste. A in Suttons Bay, next to Hansen Foods. For more information, call (231) 271-6111.
Learn More About the Flu Vaccine
Contact your physician for flu vaccination information. For help finding a primary care physician, contact Munson HealthLink.
Visit the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) on the web at www.cdc.gov/flu
Visit the Grand Traverse County Health Department on the web at http://www.co.grand-traverse.mi.us/departments/health/Seasonal_Flu.htm