Four cardiothoracic surgeons lead the team of physician assistants, nurse practitioners, perfusionists,and hospital staff who care for bypass patients. Some of the best cardiac care in the nation is taking place at Munson Medical Center.
Cardiothoracic Surgeons of Grand Traverse was named one of the 27 top-rated heart bypass surgical groups in the nation by Consumer Reports in 2012. Cardiothoracic Surgeons of Grand Traverse is the only group in Michigan to earn Consumer Reports’ highest rating for each of the past three years.
Minimally Invasive Procedures
Munson Medical Center is at the forefront of adopting new technology and surgical techniques. New minimally invasive heart procedures have good outcomes and allow patients to recover more quickly with less pain and a shorter hospital stay. The therapy itself, for valve repair or replacement, is exactly the same as in regular open heart surgery.
- Minimally invasive valve replacement
- Mitral valve repair or replacement
- Aortic valve repair or replacement (AVR) - hemisternotomy or parasternal
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Radiofrequency ablation for atrial fibrillation
Open Heart Procedures
We offer a full range of open heart procedures. Open heart surgery is any surgery where the chest is opened and surgery is performed on the heart.
- Aortic valve repair and replacement, including valve sparing aortic root replacement, stentless prosthesis, pericardial prosthesis, and complete aortic root replacement
- Atrial and ventricular septal defect closure and other congenital procedures in adults
- Cardiac tumor resection and reconstruction
- Coronary artery bypass grafting, including on-pump, off-pump, total arterial revascularization, and endoscopic conduit harvesting
- Full spectrum of mitral and tricuspid repair and reconstruction
- Pulmonic valve replacement, including stentless prosthesis
- Septal myectomy for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Surgical ablation of arrhythmias including atrial fibrillation and exclusion of the left atrial
- Thoracic aortic reconstruction including percutaneous endografts