Your Prescription for Wellness
The key component of Munson Healthcare Pharmacy Services’ Medication Therapy Management (MTM) Program is a patient service called a Medication Check-Up. This service goes beyond answering questions when a patient
picks up a prescription; it is an opportunity for patients to meet one-on-one with a pharmacist
to review all of their medications.
Patients learn how medications work in their bodies, how to avoid side effects, reduce medication expenses, and reduce or manage symptoms.
During a scheduled Medication Check-Up, a pharmacist also verifies that a patient’s medications are being taken safely. Any concerns are then communicated to the physician.
Munson Community Health Center Pharmacist Kathleen Brown, RPh., provides this service. Brown has been named The Michigan Pharmacists Association "Community Pharmacist of the Year," and more recently, has won the 2013 "Excellence in Innovation Award" sponsored by Upsher-Smith Laboratories.
Who should have a Medication Check-Up?
Anyone who uses prescription medications,over-the-counter medications, herbal products, or other dietary supplements may be helped by a Medication Check-up.
This service may be most helpful for patients who:
- Use several medications
- Have several health conditions
- Have questions or problems with their medications
- Take medications that require laboratory monitoring
- Have been hospitalized recently
- Have recently changed their medications
- Want to reduce their out-of-pocket costs
- Get medications from more than one place
Benefits of Medication Check-Ups
Medication Check-Ups can provide real benefits. Studies have found that people who meet with their pharmacist to manage their medications have:
- Better management of health conditions, such as diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, depression, and blood clots
- A better understanding of how to take their medications
- Fewer problems caused by medications
- Fewer hospitalizations
- Fewer trips to the emergency department
- Lower health care costs
- Increased productivity and decreased sick days
- Customized Medication Record provided
Many insurance companies now pay for Medication Check-ups (or MTM services), but may limit who can receive coverage through the insurance plan. Participants should talk to their insurance company or pharmacist to find out whether the service is covered.
For more information, or to schedule a Medication Check-up appointment, call (231) 935-9194. Medication check-ups are available at all of the Munson Healthcare pharmacies.