Medical Records FAQ


Frequently Asked Questions about Medical Records

How does Munson Healthcare handle release of medical information functions?

Munson Healthcare uses a shared release of information service model. Our business partner Record Connect assists in the timely, accurate and compliant release of our medical information services.

Can you give me my medical information over the phone?

No. Due to the need to protect patient confidentiality, we do not supply information over the phone. Additionally, we are not clinical personnel and cannot explain test results. You can submit a written request for a copy of the information. You can also obtain your results from the patient portal.

Who should sign a release of records for a minor child?

Parents or legal guardian of a minor have an equal right to a child’s medical information, with certain exceptions, as required by law. In instances where Michigan law allows a minor to consent to his/her own treatment without parental consent, only the minor has the right of access to those treatment records.

Can a divorced parent request copies of a minor child?

Yes.  Custody or where the minor child resides does not determine which parent can request the records. Parents can only be denied access if they have been terminated of all parental rights, or the Court Order dictates a restriction from obtaining the minor’s medical records. The parents must provide a copy of the Court Order to Munson Healthcare to facilitate the denial.

What if, as the parents were never married, can I still request a copy of my minor child’s medical records?

If we can verify parentage you can request your child’s records.  If we cannot verify parentage we may ask the parent for proof of parentage, either by birth certificate or paternity affidavit.

Can Step-parents request copies of their Step-Childs medical records?

No. The Step-parent would need to provide proof of authority by either court order, Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare (DPOAH), or a limited patient representative statement signed by the parent.

Can parents sign a release for records for a patient who is 18 years old?

No. The age of majority in Michigan is 18. Therefore, in order to legally request medical records, the patient would have to sign for themselves, unless a legal guardian has been established by the court. Documentation of authority to sign for the patient must be provided.

Can my spouse get my medical records?

Yes, if they have a written authorization signed by you or your legal representative that specifies your medical records may be released to your spouse.

Am I able to request medical records if I am the healthcare Power of Attorney or patient advocate?

It depends.  Yes, if the DPOAH specifically grants the open access to the patient’s medical records. NO, if the DPOAH specifies that the DPOAH is only active if it has been declared that the patient is incapable of understanding/exercising his/her rights and responsibilities and is unable to participate in medical treatment decision making by two licensed physicians.

How do I find out my blood type?

Your blood type may or may not be listed in your medical record. Your blood type is not routinely tested unless you had the need. If you want to obtain a copy it will be necessary for you to submit your request in writing to the appropriate location via mail, fax or email.

How can I find out if I received a tetanus shot?

It will be noted in your record if you received a tetanus shot when in the hospital or clinic. You will need to complete the Authorization for Release of Health Information form to receive this information.

How can I obtain a copy of the COVID-19 vaccine card?

You can request a copy of your COVID-19 vaccine card through the local Health Department. Michigan residents also can fill out a form to get a copy of their immunization record from the Michigan Care Improvement Registry (MCIR), an immunization database that documents inoculations given to Michiganders.

How can I get my complete vaccination record?

For a comprehensive list of vaccines you have received, Michigan residents can fill out a form to get a copy of their immunization record from the Michigan Care Improvement Registry (MCIR), an immunization database that documents inoculations given to Michiganders.

How long will it take to process my record request?

Copies of records typically take an average of 3-7 days, but no longer than 30 days to process. In the rare event of a delay, you will be informed accordingly. If requested by a provider for continuation of care, your records will be processed immediately.

How can I check the status of my medical record request?

You may call 231-252-0652 to check the status of your submission.

How much will it cost to for me to obtain copies of my medical records?

A reasonable fee may be charged to defer the costs of reproduction of information in accordance with the State of Michigan Medical Records Access Act law. Patient record copy fees are subject to change.

My doctor needs my records urgently. How can they get them?

We must receive a request from your physician indicating which records are needed. The request must be faxed to the facility/office where care was provided.  Requests are processed upon receipt immediately. 

What are the ways that I can receive my records?

Secure email, US mail, fax, and in person.  *** Please call prior to picking up records in person due to COVID-19 restrictions at some facilities and physician offices.

Will I need to present some form of identification?

We can often validate your signature on file, if there is not a clear signature on file we will ask for a copy of your driver’s license or official form of photo I.D.

I found an error in my medical records or the patient portal. How can I have it corrected?

You will need to make a request in writing to the site where you received care.

Are billing and Radiology images/records released through the Health Information Department?

In most cases, Health Information Management directly handles the release of medical information. The request will be forwarded to the appropriate department for items such as radiology images and billing information.

How can I obtain physical copies of my radiology records?

For patients, please fill out and sign form 3161 with a picture of your driver’s license and email them to Images will be sent to the email address that was used to send in the request. To access just radiology reports, please log into your Patient Portal.

For providers or facilities looking for imaging for continuation of care, please fax a request to 231-935-3204 or find us on Powershare under “Munson Healthcare.”

Why can’t I see scanned documents in my Manistee Hospital and/or Otsego Memorial Hospital Meditech patient portal?

Scanned documents can’t technically interface to any Meditech patient portal. We apologize for this inconvenience.

How do I get a copy of a birth certificate or death certificate?

Please contact the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MHDHHS).