Dr. Comfort Diabetic Shoes


Dr. Comfort Diabetic Shoes

Today’s diabetic shoes come in many colors and styles – just like regular shoes. Diabetic shoes are specially constructed to protect your feet. They are extra deep to accommodate special custom made inserts. Special features and materials combine to provide your feet with the extra protection and extra comfort they need. Dr. Comfort Shape to Fit Socks are also available.

Qualifying for Medicare Reimbursement

To qualify for Medicare reimbursement, specialized diabetic shoes and inserts must be prescribed by your physician and professionally fit by certified staff at Foster Family Community Health Center.  

Attention Medicare Patients with Diabetes

Qualifying Medicare patients may receive one pair of Dr. Comfort shoes every 365 days.  You qualify if you have been diagnosed with diabetes, and have one or more of the following conditions:

  • Foot deformity
  • History of foot ulceration
  • Peripheral neuropathy with a history of callus formation
  • Poor circulation
  • Pre-ulcerative callus

Ask your physician to complete the two-part form that includes the Prescription for Therapeutic Footwear and the Statement of Certifying Need. Medicare will cover 80 percent of the cost after the deductible has been met. The remaining 20 percent may be covered by a secondary insurance, if applicable. Contact us for details.

Where to Find Diabetic Shoes and Footwear

These shoes have:

  • Extra width and depth in the toe box and forefoot area to help prevent pressure on swollen feet, bunions, hammertoes and other problem areas
  • A padded heel counter to prevent irritation
  • Superior lining to keep feet cool and dry
  • Padded tongue to reduce friction and improve fit
  • Non-skid, long-wearing, light-weight outsole for better traction
  • Lightweight design to reduce daily fatigue
  • Finest quality top grain leather to shape to the feet for improved comfort